What does that mean for you?
Aim of the work
When strip steels, especially carbon steel, are quenched and tempered, they are subjected to heat treatment. In order to achieve the desired hardness, the cooling behavior during the hardening process is a decisive factor. In order to be able to design this cooling correctly, simulations are to be carried out which are then to be tested practically on a test rig.
A test rig for hardening and cooling strip steel is currently being planned for this purpose. This can be actively designed and subsequently operated.
In the work described here, cooling during the hardening process is to be simulated by varying various parameters. Subsequently, suitable parameters are to be tested practically in the simulation and the simulation results thus verified. The practical tests will be checked by measuring the hardnesses achieved.
Structure of the work packages
- Familiarization with the subject of quenching and tempering of strip steels, especially carbon steels
- Simulation of the cooling behavior with defined parameters (e.g. material and dimensions)
- Evaluation of the simulation results for the subsequent tests
- Co-design of the test stand for practical heat treatment tests
- Setup and operation of the trainer
- Verification of the simulation results
- Presentation of the results in an appropriate form
If required, the task can be adapted for the scope of a student research project, bachelor thesis or master thesis.
*Conceptualization of the process can also be worked on separately from the thesis as part of an employment as a working student (m/f/d).